Outsourced IT solutions is another term for managed IT services. This means that a company outsources their IT needs to an external provider, rather than managing it internally.
There are many benefits to outsourcing that can greatly benefit businesses, but like all things, there are also possible downsides that you should be aware of. Capital Counselor reported that larger companies are 66% more likely to outsource than small businesses. This is a surprising statistic for a couple of reasons: namely, outsourcing IT solutions are much more affordable than hiring an in-house IT team.
In order to make the most informed decision for your small business, we’ve done the hard lifting for you – we’ve compiled a list of all the pros and cons of outsourcing your IT so you can walk away from this blog better informed on all your outsourced IT needs.
Pros of Outsourced IT Solutions
Outsourcing your IT means that a team of highly skilled professionals manage your technology needs. Going this route has many benefits including:
- Cost savings: Hiring a managed IT service provider is vastly more affordable than the costs associated with an in-house team—just think paid time off, onboarding costs, hiring funds, raises, etc. And we’re not necessarily dissuading you from an in-house team; some companies have a small team that an outsourced IT team can help support in a co-managed IT environment.
- Access to a wider range of expertise and resources: A managed IT service provider offers the expertise of several different team members. While an in-house team might have limited resources and knowledge, an msp has connections and personnel with diverse skills.
- Increased focus on core business functions: Not only will outsourcing your IT solutions allow you to focus on core business functions and use your time wisely, away from troubleshooting tech issues yourself, but an outsourced team can work on optimizing your business functions 24/7.
- Proactive IT solutions: When you’re a small business owner, there is always an immediate To-Do list and a Wish List that you hope to get to one day. With outsourced IT, your wish list items (proactive, forward-thinking projects) become a reality. They can handle the day-to-day challenges while propelling you toward long-term solutions.
And the cherry on top? Cybersecurity is a major issue on business owners’ minds, and an outsourced team can be the security reinforcements you need, keeping an eye on threats to your network around the clock.
Cons of Outsourcing IT
One potential downside to outsourced IT solutions is decreased control and flexibility, but with the right fit, that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Outsourcing means handing over management of an important aspect of your business to an external provider and trusting them to handle it effectively. However, if you’re someone who struggles with trusting an outside provider or letting go of control, this option may seem like a con.
Other disadvantages could include:
- Third-party access to company data and information: If you have trust issues when it comes to your company data, outsourcing can be a tough step. But any decisions in business take a degree of trust. If you find the right provider for you, you won’t have to worry about the safety of your data.
- Reliance on your outsourced provider for crucial functions: Relying on a third party for crucial services can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it’s nice to know you have reliable support in a crisis and that they never take vacation. On the other hand, it takes flexibility and a learning curve to work effectively together with your outsourced team.
- Increased effort on collaboration: Working with an outsourced IT provider is not a one and done situation; it takes continual communication and collaboration for effective results. Your provider wants to be an extension of your team, so you’ll have to set aside time for appropriate communication.
There may also be challenges in communication and maintaining a cohesive workflow between the outsourced provider and internal teams. If your provider isn’t transparent, the arrangement can be more of a burden than a benefit.
Ultimately, choosing the right outsourced IT solution provider is key to avoiding these potential disadvantages. That’s why researching is crucial to finding the right fit.
Partner with Telewire: Outsourced IT Solutions with Overwhelming Benefits
Telewire is the clear choice for outsourced IT solutions. Our team of experts will work closely with your company to provide personalized and tailored solutions, while maintaining transparency and communication throughout the process. Outsourcing your IT solutions is not something we take lightly.
So, when choosing who to outsource your IT to, trust the experts at Telewire. We have the industry knowledge and expertise to give your business the outsourced IT solutions it needs to thrive.
We offer proactive managed IT services to support your Maryland business needs so you can rest easy knowing you’re protected against cyber threats and your time can be spent increasing productivity. Get started today with Telewire.