You know that data is important to your business needs, but what about the technology you use to store it? In this blog post, we will discuss the five most secure computers on the market.
As a leading provider of managed IT services, we help businesses deploy solutions to meet a broad range of business goals. We aim to help you take a proactive approach to find information technology that meets your needs for day-to-day tasks and complex projects.
Apple laptops are typically more secure than PCs. This is largely because of the closed and proprietary operating system that it runs. Apple computers also have a very small portion of the marketplace, so it makes more sense for hackers to target PCs.
Other features that make the MacBook Pro a more secure laptop than many PCs are:
- The new M1 chip with built-in Secure Enclave
- Built-in anti-virus software to block and remove malware
- XD (execute disable)
- ASLR (address space layout randomization)
- SIP (system integrity protection)
- FileVault 2 full-disk encryption method
- Touch ID to conveniently unlock your device without a password or pin code
These features make it difficult for malware to infiltrate the device, and also ensures that processes with root permission cannot change critical files.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9
Lenovo has a long history of creating durable, highly secure laptops, and the ThinkPad X1 Carbon 9 is no exception.
It has an updated suite of built-in security solutions, including:
- A biometric fingerprint reader complete with anti-spoofing technology for password-less login
- A human-presence detection feature that automatically locks your device when you leave
- The optional IR camera enables zero-touch login
- A ThinkShutter to physically cover the camera lens
There is also an option to purchase a privacy guard display so that your screen is even more secure.
Dell New XPS 15
The Dell XPS 15 comes with fantastic security features built-in, including:
- A fingerprint reader that is integrated directly into the power button
- An infrared webcam
Both of these features are Windows Hello compatible. Simply go through the steps to set up Windows Hello, and you’ll be able to unlock the laptop with your finger or your face.
Dell also offers Mobile Connect, which allows you to connect to your PC with its point-to-point secure connection to maximize the security of the data that is being transmitted.
HP Elite Dragonfly
The HP Elite Dragonfly is another great choice for secure laptops.
- A fingerprint scanner waiting for your fingertips on the left side of the palm rest
- An IR camera that facilitates state-of-the-art facial recognition capabilities
Compatible with HP Sure Start, the computer can detect, stop, and recover from a BIOS attack or corruption without IT intervention. Every time the laptop starts, HP Sure Start automatically checks the integrity of the BIOS code to safeguard the PC from malicious attacks.
Once the computer is powered on, runtime intrusion detection monitors the memory. In the case of an attack, the PC can heal itself using an isolated “golden copy” of the BIOS in less than 60 seconds.
Huawei MateBook X Pro
Many technical experts also recommend the Matebook for its managed security features.
- A webcam positioned between the F6 and F7 keys that only activates once it is pressed upon, meaning that it can’t be used as a monitoring device
- A biometric fingerprint scanner that lets you go from switched-off to back to work in just seven seconds
A feature that will be particularly useful for businesses is that the fingerprint scanner can accommodate multiple profiles in case of access by more than one user.
Next steps for your business
Computers that are vulnerable to data loss are a liability, especially for smaller companies and mid-sized businesses that cannot afford lost revenue due to security problems.
Consider consulting a specialist in managed IT services to fulfill all your technical needs, including ongoing technical support, network monitoring, and data backup.